Welcome to Tensions of Europe
STATEMENT ON THE RUSSIAN INVASION OF UKRAINE
We express our deep shock regarding, and absolute condemnation of, the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine. We empathize with all those affected, first and foremost citizens in Ukraine. We also empathize with citizens (including colleagues) in Russia who oppose the invasion, and risk being fired and imprisoned when speaking up.
In addition, as a research network on history, technology and Europe, we vigorously reject the official Russian misuse of ‘history’ to legitimize the invasion. This includes the misleading claim that Ukraine historically was a Soviet creation to justify Russian intervention today. For more on this, also see the American Historical Associations statement on the invasion, which has already been endorsed by many historical associations and societies.
The Tensions of Europe network is and will be a safe place for historians from Ukraine and neighboring countries, including those from Russia and Belarus, to meet, discuss and rebuild ties with the rest of the community of scholars aiming for a critical history of Europe through the lens of technology.
Finally, we alert Ukrainian colleagues and all those concerned to this European Research Area ERA4Ukraine initiative and this scienceforukraine platform.
Research network on history, technology and Europe
Tensions of Europe is the transnational scholarly network and hub for transnational research, education and outreach initiatives on history, technology and Europe. Founded in 1999, ToE explicitly includes social tensions in the making of technology and Europe, as well as Europe's transatlantic and (post)colonial connections.
Support ToE by becoming an institutional partner
Building a new research agenda
ToE provides an infrastructure for transnational research groups and projects. In addition ToE develops agenda-setting 'flagship' programs that engage with pressing societal and scholarly questions.
Today, in times of global crises and social and environmental 'grand challenges', ToE builds a new flagship program on Technology and Societal Challenges, ca. 1800-2050. It succeeds the first ToE flagship program, initiated in 1999 during the European integration hype, on Technology and European Integration and Fragmentation, ca. 1850-2000.
Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (the Netherlands)
European University Viadrina, Frankfurt-Oder (Germany)
Foundation for the History of Technology, Eindhoven (the Netherlands)
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm (Sweden)
Past and present activities of the Tensions of Europe network have been made possible by generous contributions of, among others:
- Agence nationale de la recherche (ANR)
- American Embassy The Hague
- Amsterdam School for Social Science Research
- Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Fund Sweden
- Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Danish Council for Independent Research – Humanities
- Deutsches Museum
- Dutch Association of Insurers
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- European Commission
- EU Research and Innovation programme
- Europauniversität Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION
- European Science Foundation
- Fondazio Cassa di Risparmio di Torino
- Fundacao da Faculdade de Ciencias e Technologia
- Foundation for the History of Technology (SHT)
- Generalitat de Catalunya, Department dÚniversitats, Recerca i Societat de la Informacio
- German Research Council (Darmstadt bijeenkomst)
- Ministery of Economic Affairs, The Hague
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnologia
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- NW Posthumus Institute for social and economic history
- Rijkswaterstaat/ Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management
- Royal Institute of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI-NIRIA)
- Royal Netherlands Academy of Art and Sciences (KNAW)
- Society for the History of Technology (SHOT)
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Sofia
- University of Plovdiv
- University of Turku
- USA National Science Foundation
- Visegrad Fund
- Netherlands Graduate Research School in Science, Technology & Modern Culture (WTMC)